I was doing some cleaning around the house during this holiday lockdown and came across a newspaper clipping from an article I wrote in the North Bay Nugget December 31st, 2013. Check it out (I've edited this version with current dates), and if you've never tried curling before - don't bother, it pretty much sucks 😉
With New Year’s Day only hours away, people of the world are planning positive change for themselves and their families. The Romans dedicated the first day on the modern Gregorian calendar to Janus, the god of gates, doors, and beginnings for whom the first month of the year is also named.
Janus, who had two faces, one looking forward and the other looking backward, represents the fresh start of a new year after a period of remembrance of the passing year.
Modern trends indicate that 45% of Americans usually make New Year’s resolutions, while only 8% actually achieve their goals. 47% of resolutions surround self-improvement or education, 38% are weight related, 34% about money, and 31% concern relationships. People in their twenties are 25% more likely to achieve their resolution than people over fifty and 25% of all people who create a resolution give up before the end of the first week.
That being said, there are a number of worthy challenges awaiting you in 2021 and as Michael Jordan once said, “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.” So join a gym, volunteer more, and eat healthier but absolutely do not try curling; and I’ll tell you why.
- Curling is way too difficult. The pros make it look easy on television however it takes time and effort to get good at this sport. If you are looking for something easy, and something everyone can do; stray far away from this bizarre “sport”.
- There is an abundance of nice, friendly people at your local curling club that encourage you to take up the game and help you along every step of the way. They are so inviting it will make you sick, so if you have enough friends and social circles, curling just isn’t for you.
- People who curl claim that it is great cardiovascular exercise and an easy way to shave some extra poundage. But what if your body is already perfect… There is nothing wrong with a little curvature to the body so don’t let this so-called “roaring game” temper with your temple.
- A curling game is two hours long yet nobody lets you go home immediately after the game. The brainwashed curlers make you sit and drink with them instead of returning home to your loving spouse and children. Don’t let curling take you away from household chores in 2021, you have responsibilities.
- Finally, these lords of the rings figured they were smart creating an isolated cold space to play their “chess on ice”. Have you been outside? Save your hundreds of dollars and buy a Netflix membership, cozy up next to your fireplace and hibernate away this crazy season they call winter.
Best of luck with your challenges in the coming year and, if against my recommendations you are going to check out curling in the new year, discover a club near you at curlnoca/clubs or call me at 705-499-0254 and I will gladly help you find a club, league or program to suit your desires.